Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Did 1 year just pass me by as I just stood in shock and amazement....

I have a great memory when emotion is involved and so I retell the events that happened last year.  Can it really be one year ago that life changed for me and my family?  I called mom around 8ish in the morning was a daily routine that we did and looked forward to.  She was on her way in to the Dr.  for a routine parenthesis (drains fluid from her abdomen).  She just wanted to be relieved of her pain.  And so the news she received was kind of discouraging to her. The Dr. said " you are not stable enough to have this procedure done, we need to balance your electrolytes "  Something that in the past had been a challenge, with her sodium and potassium levels being off the charts.

I did not know that this Monday would be the last phone conversation we would have.  The next day I called and dad answered the phone, saying " mother is sleeping.  I will have her call when she wakes up."  I just told dad to relay the message that I love her.  I did this again on Wednesday.  On Wednesday afternoon dad and I talked and he said they were setting up hospice care and that the time was close.  Me being 2 days drive away and with 6 kids and a husband that worked needed to leave at just the right time.  Not wanting to place a huge burden on my kids that would be left behind and my husband not wanting to overload him with work and school and kids, a true balancing act.  I knew that getting on my knees and listening to the whispering of the spirit would be the sure way to receive guidance as to when I would leave.  As I went to bed Wednesday no answer.  Thursday came and still no answer.  I talked to my Aunt and she would leave Sunday and I would follow her in a caravan if I did not get answer before then.  I went to bed Thursday night and woke up with still no answer.  I continued to pray and be open to the spirit, and it was amazing the strong urgancy that came over me that I must leave now.  It was about 2pm and I was only semi packed ready to leave Sunday.  As I rushed to put things in order, I thanked Heavenly Father for answering my prayer.  I learned that as we are patient and submit our will to his will the answers come with understanding.  Within and hour and half of getting the answer I was out of the house and on the road to KS.  I arrived in KS early Sunday morning.  Just a few hours before sunrise.  It as early, and we all slept for a few hours.  We got up and dressed for church, planning to attend sacrament meeting.  I felt like I needed to be at moms side and so instead of attending church, I tended to the sick.  A day that I will never forget.  The tenderness of a mother who for 32 years showed her unconditional to me.  Now it was my turn to care for her.  I sat by her bed side and just enjoyed the quiet moments with her.  Her humor, her love her positive character still shown through her now weakened weary deceaised body.  I could tell that though her body was failing her spirit was not, in fact it was ready to face the next part of the test.  She was so willing to do and obey Gods laws and sustatian her Priesthood leaders here that she grew spiritually from doing so.  Mom was  true to the faith to the very end of her life.  The one and only regret I wish I had done was follow the prompting of the spirit in singing primary songs to her in her last hours.  I felt she wanted that and she was unable to communicate by then.  When I feel the spirit now I act.  After all it is a gift that I want to use often, and familiarize my life with.  Keep myself worthy to always have the Spirit to be with me.  An important principle and corner stone of my religion.  I love the example my mother is to me.  She is a woman of strength, a women of love, a women of great faith.  She taught not just me but all she came in contact with by her example.  She was a lover of all men.  She was in the Service of her God all the way to the end of her life.

Mom I strive daily to be the example you were to my family and then to my friends.  I love you and miss you.  But know this you are not forgotten and your legacy lives on in the lives of all you knew!  I love you more than words can express!

No comments: