Sunday, March 17, 2013

Potty Training Sammie trying now for the 3rd time

Can it be done?  Well I say bring it on!  I have attempted 2  times with Sammie to potty train her and to no avail after about 3 days she is done, or is it me that is done.... Well she has for sure been the hardest of all my kids to train.  I have given up mostly in part to her not getting the pooping on the toilet, she would say "I don't know how to poop on the toilet mommy"  With that alone it has been hard, the staying dry was a piece of cake!  So we took a break from potty training again.  OK Sammie took a break while mom did some more studying and thinking about just how about to get Sammie motivated to even want to potty train.  I am happy to say that after much thought and prayer, yes I said prayer, I have introduced Sammie to potty training again!  And with a great motivator!   Sammie loves Polly Pockets and My Little Ponies!  I sat down with her as she was playing and asked her how she would like some new Polly's and Ponies?  She got a big grin on her face and said "Yes, can we get them right now?"  I then told her that we could get them but she would not be able to play with them until she could go pee and poop in the toilet   She told me she could not go poop in the toilet because she did not know how.  I told her it was OK, that mommy would help her learn.  She was frustrated about this but  decided to give it a try!  So I went and got the Polly's and brought then to her and let her look at them. We then made up a chart for which she would have to fill with lots of stickers( 10 days of going potty which she can do already... and only 5 times of going poop which to her seemed unfathomable. )  She excitedly started in right away, she ran to the toilet and went pee right away... then came and asked for her Polly.  I told her that she could look at them, and put a sticker on her chart and gave her a chocolate!  She then through out the day kept trying, (we went through 6 changes of clothes) and we made it and she even pooped in the toilet! She did a great job at it!  The next day we again tried it, I asked her if she wanted to wear underwear, making sure she still wanted to keep working towards her goal, she did!  Another great day with 2 poops in the toilet and lots of potty with only 6 more changes of clothes....but I showed no signs of discouragement and kept encouraging her!  Today, Sunday I pulled out a trusty pull up and asked Sammie is she wanted to wear it with her underwear, she said no, just underwear mommy.  I was a little apprehensive but I let her go ahead, trusting her that she would let me know if she needed to go.  Having 6 accidents each day sense we started this you can imagine what I was thinking.  I packed a few extra pairs of clothes and headed out the door to church, and came home with no dirty clothes!  SHE DID IT!  I was excited!  And today I have not had to ask her once if she needed to go.  And she even went poop, and according to her it was a lot of big poops.  She was so excited about doing this.  I feel like with the inspiration of going to get the toys for her so she could SEE what she was working for has helped her keep sight of her goal!  I have tried really hard to make sure that this is Sammie's accomplishment and not mine!  Sometimes I feel like it should be mine because all the other children have been so easy to train and have mastered the concept so easily but Sammie was so hard to figure out.  It is true each child is so different in so many ways.  But each of then are so amazing and have taught me so many things!  Thank you Sammie for teaching me patience  as I endured to the end on this.... I am sure there may be more accidents but I have been amazed with your efforts to do this hard thing  with such determination!  I love you Sammie!

No comments: