I am sharing it here for those of you that want to read and those that are far away!
Enjoy!
I have been asked to talk on Consecrating my time and
talents!
What does it mean to consecrate?
To consecrate is to make holy or to dedicate or become
righteous!
I would like to start off with a parable taught by our
Savior.
"The
Savior in His earthly ministry taught us this principle by example,
exhortation, and parable. The message was especially emphasized in the parable
of the talents. ( Matt. 25:14–30.)
Here the Savior tells us of a man who was traveling into a far-off country and called his servants together to deliver unto them his goods. To one he gave five talents, another two, and another one; to each man according to his several abilities. Then he left on his journey.
Now they who had received the five and the two talents labored diligently to double that which they had received. But he who had received the one went and digged in the earth and hid his lord’s money. After some time the lord returned. To those who had gained the five and the two, the lord said, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.” ( Matt. 25:21.)
Now he who had received the one went and digged in the earth and brought his talent forth, and he tried to alibi for not multiplying that which the lord had given him.
The lord didn’t greet him with “Well done.” His greeting was, “Thou wicked and slothful servant.” ( Matt. 25:26.) And then the lord said, “Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
“For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance; but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.” ( Matt. 25:28–29.)
Here the Savior tells us of a man who was traveling into a far-off country and called his servants together to deliver unto them his goods. To one he gave five talents, another two, and another one; to each man according to his several abilities. Then he left on his journey.
Now they who had received the five and the two talents labored diligently to double that which they had received. But he who had received the one went and digged in the earth and hid his lord’s money. After some time the lord returned. To those who had gained the five and the two, the lord said, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.” ( Matt. 25:21.)
Now he who had received the one went and digged in the earth and brought his talent forth, and he tried to alibi for not multiplying that which the lord had given him.
The lord didn’t greet him with “Well done.” His greeting was, “Thou wicked and slothful servant.” ( Matt. 25:26.) And then the lord said, “Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
“For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance; but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.” ( Matt. 25:28–29.)
Elder Bruce R. McConky said, “ We are commanded to sacrifice
all things if need be for his name’s sake”.
He went on to quote D&C 78:7
For if you will that I give unto you a place in the celestial world,you must prepare yourselves by doing the things which I have commanded you and required of you.
What areas in our lives should we focus our attention to?
I am going to touch on two areas in which we can consecrate
our time and talents to make the best of them!
1st is our home and family
2nd is our Service to God and his Church
In our home and Family
Elder D. Todd Christofferson said :
"A
consecrated life is a beautiful thing. Its strength and serenity are “as a very
fruitful tree which is planted in a goodly land, by a pure stream, that
yieldeth much precious fruit” ( D&C 97:9 ). Of particular significance is
the influence of a consecrated man or woman upon others, especially those
closest and dearest. The consecration of many who have gone before us and
others who live among us has helped lay the foundation for our happiness. In
like manner future generations will take courage from your consecrated life,
acknowledging their debt to you for the possession of all that truly matters.
May we consecrate ourselves as sons and daughters of God, “that when he shall
appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have
this hope” ( Moroni 7:48; see also 1 John 3:2 ),"
We have
each been blessed to be here on this earth at a time when the the Gospel is
here in its fullest! We have beautiful
familes that have been entrusted to us by A loving Heavenly Father! Our goal as parents is to teach our children
the gospel and to help our children return to live with their Father again.
I love the
song I Am A Child of God, its words are simple yet so powerful:
I am a child of God, And he has sent me here, Has
given me an earthly home With parents kind and dear. I am a child of God, And
so my needs are great; Help me to understand his words Before it grows too
late. I am a child of God. Rich blessings are in store; If I but learn to do
his will I'll live with him once more. I am a Child of God his promises are
sure, Celestial Glory shall be mine, if I can but endure. Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, Help me
find the way. Teach me all that I must do To live with him someday.
In
Proverbs 22:6 it reads: Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
As Elder Christofferson said that many who have gone before us and
other who live among us has helped lay the foundation for our happiness. I have many exceptional influences in my
life that have been great examples to me.
My mother was a woman that was constantly giving her time and talents to
raise her family. I remember growing up
and having to have family prayer and scripture study at 5:30 am one of the only
times that all of us were home together.
As a teen I did not like it… I was never a morning person. My Aunt Linda was another infuluece for me
as she was a mother figure in my life.
She taught that scriptures and words from the Prophets are
important! As a young girl she helped me
memorize scriptures! I still remember
some of those that I learned when I was 6!
I learned from my Father the importance of the Priesthood and its
blessings! My Dad was always there to
give me a blessing and he still his today!
From my Uncle Mike I have learned that selfless acts of service bring
great happiness! All of these things
that I have learned from those that are near and dear to me I want to teach to
my children!
So what can we do to train and teach our children with the time
and talents that we have been given? First we must exercise are faith and act! We must be leaders in our homes before we can
lead others.
Let me give a few examples of what we do in our family
·
We have morning and evening family prayer
·
We have a morning devotional where we teach
each other how to be better and kinder to one another. Right now we are studying the 9 BE’S by
President Hinckley.
·
We eat together and talk and laugh and have
fun!
·
I encourage all my children to read their scriptures and pray in private
as well.
·
We sing songs together
·
We do FHE
·
We study the scriptures as a family.
All of these things seem simple and small. But all of them have
great rewards! One of my faviorite BOM
prophets said this too: Alma 37:1-7
Just as it was important to Alma that his son Helaman preserve the
plates for a wise purpose which at the time he did not know why, we should also
teach our children to walk in the path of righteousness, a sure way back to their Father in Heaven.
Yes it is a lot of time that is spent doing all these little
things but the rewards are the sweet fruit that I know we all desire! I was picking my daughter up from gym and we
were listening to a song entitled “One
Voice” from and EFY album. As we
were singing along she stopped and said that she felt like knocking on doors
and giving out Book Of Mormons! I was touched
by her ability to feel the spirit and how she wanted to share it with
others! I see the little things that I
teach to my children bring them closer to their Father in Heaven and see a
greater desire for them to have their own testimonies! Michael my 7 year set a goal this year to
read the Book of Mormon, ( I thought to myself
in a moment of doubt that as a 1st grader he would struggle
through it) . Quite the opposite he is
strong willed and has pushed himself. He
is half way through the Book of Mormon and still going strong and his reading
skills have improved so much! And I might add that he does not need reminders…I
often see him sitting on the couch or laying in his bed with the Book of
Mormon! As we give our children room to grow and then
encourage them on the path their testimony grows and they become closer to the
spirit!! Our children watch us more than
we know! It is important to use our time
and talents in way that will bring our families closer together! By strengthening our families first we are
then able to strengthen other!
2nd Service to
God and His Church
We live in a selfish society where many expect to get something
for what they do. I am grateful to have
been raised in a culture where service is at the center! Where when we do something for someone else
we feel good and happy and content and expect nothing in return!
I love the account of King Benjamin! He was a wise and kind and loving king! He spent all his days in service to the
people he was made ruler of! Mosiah 2:9,
11, 17-18. I want to be like King
Benjamin with an attitude like his we can Move Mountains and see the power of
God work many many miracles!
I have lived in many different places! Each ward and stake teaches the same thing
and that is to Come Unto Christ and Be Perfected in Him. I have also grown in each ward as I have
interacted with many people in various different callings! I know that it is by our service to each
other that we are strengthened and our testimonies continue to grow! I was in a ward where I was called as a
counselor in a relief society. We had a
great President who was a great example to me!
We had just finished our presidency meeting and then she encouraged all
of us to go to ward choir practice. At
first I thought that was odd but then I was strengthened by what she said
next…when we are called to a position to serve we each have the opportunity to
raise our hands to support that person in their calling! I felt that if I would attend choir that I
would be supporting our choir director!
I loved singing and so I went and I loved when we would sing in
sacrament it truly brought the spirit into our meeting!
I have been in many other callings but the one that had dreaded
the most was primary…I wanted to associate with adults…I related better to
them. Well I called to primary and
realized that being in primary is by far the best calling in the whole
church! If each of you could come to
primary and feel of your children’s spirits and see what they have to offer you
would not want to leave! I had know idea
how much my testimony needed your kids!
As they sing I feel of their spirit! As
I prepare lessons I feel the promptings of the spirit guide me in what your
children need to learn and even how to present it to them in a way that they
will be blessed! The Spirit is the
master teacher and I know he is because even the rowdiest children will quiet
down and be in tune with spirit as I present a message! I pray before I teach that I may touch the
hearts of your children through the spirit!
I am humbled every time I go to primary!
Our children were saved for this day, they are pillars of strength in a
world that is crumbling around them!
As we give our all to building up his kingdom just as King
Benjamin then we can like King Benjamin say:
stand spotless before God at the last day!
Will we be like the men that mulipyed their talents or will we hide up our talents and
not use them? I challenge you to go and
be doers of His word and share what we have with others by our examples and our
actions! Let us get to work and like
President Kimball always said “ Just Do It”
Let us use our talents and the time that God has given us to build
and strengthen others! As we do this our
lives will be full and have much meaning and purpose and will be overflowing
with Joy!
Testimony!


No comments:
Post a Comment