Monday, May 21, 2012

Listening to the Spirit

A few days ago I was at the store with my 3 little ones.  We had finished all our shopping and we were on the way out of the parking lot.  As I drive out the same way of the Walmart parking lot to the stop sign, there was a man that held a sign: 5 kids any help will do, I need to feed my children.  I usually turn my eye and try not to look at those kind of people.  But I had a strong feeling that not only did I need to look but I needed to give him something.  I reached into my purse and gave him all the ones I had.  My Maddison asked me "mom why did you give him our money?"  It was there in that moment I was able to share my testimony of the Savior and how he always went after the ones with less.  He loves all of us even the ones that do not have homes.  For me this man was just as special as I was;  he was a child of our Father in Heaven and I needed to love him not judge him.  In the back of my mind as I do many times think what must this mans life be like what is it that makes him stand here and have to beg?  Then my mind begins to wonder will we ever be ever to accept all people for who they are let just a little bit of our hearts into others hearts?  Will there be peace in the land, will there be a time when we can have our own opinions but still know that others will respect our opinions?  I pray that we can be understanding of each others thoughts and opinions.  I know that as we do this we will be that much closer to having a happier world.  The Lord called his people Zion because they were of one heart and one mind and there was peace among them.  We can start out by doing this in our own homes.  As we strive to do this then we will be able to let this example shine and give light to those that we our around.

So I am grateful for the experience that I had, though I do not make it a habit to give money to the begger on the street.  I do when moved upon by the spirit.  I felt happy and good about doing this.  I know that the Lord blesses us for doing what is right and following the promptings of the spirit.

1 comment:

David J Smith said...

That was a good day. Thank you for helping to make a family excursion more adventurous. It was good for us and the kids to get out and breath the fresh mountain air.

As always, thank you for making life a little more exciting and enjoyable