Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My birth story

I need to record this as my memory is fading fast of Samantha's birth, and now with 6 kids it seems harder and harder to find time to record things down. I started to have contractions on Saturday Oct 24th and they went all night and into the morning. I knew that this labor was alot like my first, very slow. I told David that we could go in to the hospital, so he loaded got the kids taken care of while I showered and got ready. We left our house to a great friend to watch the kids and take them to church for us. I was greatful to have someone watch over our kids and know that they would be well taken care of. We got to the hospital and monitored baby and consitacy of contractions. They both were great. I was only dialated to 1 cm so I walked around, knowing that my Dr. would not send me home was a great comfort to me. In one hour I went from a 1 to a 2 1/2 cm. So I knew that my contractions were doing something. But as I sat and did nothing contractions would stop. So I wanted to contiune walking. I wish there was more of a place to walk but the matarity ward in the hospial was it for me. We walked and I progessed to a 3 1/2. I was getting tired and now it was 2:30 pm. my contractions were still painless but closer together coming about every 3 mins. I asked the nurse if we could break my water and she talked to the Dr. He came in and finally baby's head was low enough that we could break the water safely. As we broke the water it was clear that baby had pooped already, which meant that she would have to be suctioned really well and that I would not be able to hold her right away. Kind of sad because I have been able to hold the last four of my babies as they came out. Joseph the first also had meconium in the water so he was suctioned as well. So as my water was broke, I still was not doing much which with all my others as the water broke I had the baby 20 min later. I asked for a pic drop and as they gave that to me my contractions became harder. I had Pic for about 45 min. and then she was her. My contrations went from being able to laugh through them to really having to concentrate. I knew that there was no turning back. I was excited to have this over with, the pain of contractions. As I lay in bed I had a hard time not wanting to push with each contraction. Being reminded of breathing. I had the nurse check me and was at a 5cm, finally I knew it would not be long now. The nurse called the Dr. and had him come back to the Hospital. He lives like 5 min away so I was not to worried. He came in and checked me and I was still at a 5cm. He went out to the hall and checked on some things. I was haveing back to back contractions now and knew that it was only a matter of two or three contractions now before I would be pushing. How could I comunicate this to the nurse and Dr. I could not think or talk. I prayed that I would be able to let them know so that the nurse would get the Dr. Durning my next contraction break 20 sec. I told the nurse that I felt presure and she checked me Iwas now at a seven. She had the Dr. come back in and during the next contarction her head crowned the Dr was still putting on his gloves. The bed was not broekn down and nurse was holding the head in until the Dr was there. When they said push I pushed and There was the head and the sholders followed and then the body. She slid right out onto the bed barley enough time for the Dr. to get a good suction. She did not get a great cry and was preety blue when she came out and so they worked on her. But despite her poor cry she was bound to cry until she was placed in my arms. What a sweet little girl the minute she was placed in my arms she snuggled right in and stopped crying and just looked at me. The next day were were planning on leaving. The kids were dying to meet their new little sister and because of the Flu epedemic they were not allowed to come to the hospital. It was kind of disheartning but we all understood it was for all the paitents safety. We were all cleared for discharge that night until our little Samantha decieded to turn blue and stop breathing. I paged the nurse while I franticly tried suctioning her out as she asperated her little body became more blue. It seemed like know one was coming so I went into the hall way to the nurses station and as they saw my baby they took her and started to work on her and then rushed her down the hall to the nursrey where after what seemed to be the longest minuete of my life I heard her cry and I thanked Heavenly Father for the sound of Crying. She had choked on the miconium fluid that was still in her little tummy, something that they can not digest it has to be spit up. We stayed in the nursrey for the next hour and them we were able to go back to our room. We also were now not going home for another 24 hr. Of that I was glad for. I did not want to go home and have her do that again. The Dr ordered that she be in the nursrey if I was sleeping so that she could be watched closely at all times. Luckely she did this only once and has been great sense. I love her so much. She is the best little new born. Sleeping a ton. I have to wake her at night to feed her. I have no dout that she is my little angel.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

What a sweet story. It must have been so scary when she stopped breathing! I'm glad she is home and safe!

Melissa :)

Jenni said...

I am glad that you are both home now and doing well! She sounds like a little angel.